Saturday, June 29, 2013

postage stamps and a tiny sketch

This morning I did some traditional quilting, adding the rest of my rows to my postage stamp quilt. It's not the best picture; I'll do better when it's all finished. I plan to add the narrow black borders on four sides and then one final border.
This long Canada Day weekend I plan to finish only the black borders. Then I will put it aside to take to my ladies quilting days or retreat in the fall.

I can see that the 2 inch black border plus another 8 inch border still won't make it large enough for the queen size. What to do? I've got some time to ponder it. I think stars might be too busy. I do have a box full of various sized squares though. Perhaps some four patches interspersed in a wider black border. In my travels this summer, I may have a look for another border fabric.
This afternoon after a quick errand, I went for a bike ride in the cool mist. I couldn't resist stopping to pick a few wild flowers along the wayside.


 I wrote Devil's Paint brush on my page but a blogger has written to say it is actually orange hawk weed. And so it is.Thank you, Gil!
I'm hoping this string of rainy days will soon be coming to an end especially for Canada Day on Monday!

5 comments:

Gill said...

Your 'devils paintbrush' looks like our 'fox and cubs'!
I'll check the latin name!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I think 4 patches here and there in a wider black border would echo the little postage stamp squares nicely. I also thought about the piano key type border with a variety of prints and colors with black border on both sides of it.

Gill said...

It's Pilosella Aurantiaca or orange hawkweed!

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

The quilt is gorgeous Holly!! I agree with the piano keys...they make a very nice border

Mary said...

I love the way you set your postage stamp blocks.