It's not only yard work that gets in the way of art making; there's spring cleaning too! I did some cleaning this morning, taking time in between to do a little fabric painting. I got a bunch of new screens from Margaret Applin and I've been anxious to try an idea that I had.
I screened a few images onto fabric using acrylic matte medium as a resist. I let them dry and then sponged on transparent fabric paints.
Since this method works on paper, I decided to give it a try on fabric. As you can see above, when wet, it looks good. The effect fades as the fabric dries and fades.
There is still some texture but the definition is lost. I will try it again, making sure to coat well and letting it dry longer. I definitely need to use more saturated paint.
Here is another sample just after painting it.
It looks so good, but again, faded a lot. Better than the First one though. Definitely usable, perhaps with more layering.
Here is another design again wet and saturated. It looks so good, but fades as it dries.
It will take a little more experimenting to get it right.
In conclusion, I need to:
1. Apply enough matte medium.
2. Make sure matte medium is well dried.
3. Use a heavily saturated transparent paint. I used Setacolor.