Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Making bread, sewing a binding, a little painting

I made my latest favorite recipe for bread this morning. It is an oatmeal, spelt bread. Can you see those canyons in the top? I set the bread in the oven with the light on to rise as I usually do, but the towel that covered them was a little too damp. It stuck to the dough and I had to carefully peel it back resulting in those valleys.
I had the heel already; it's my favorite part. I'm shortly going to make tea and have another piece. I know it's not part of my diet, but I've not made bread since spring and who can pass up up a fresh piece or two?
When it has cooled, I will slice it and freeze it.

At lunch time I had another go with my watercolors and the new Silks acrylics. Still need lots of practice.

I just finished stitching the binding onto my friends first baby quilt. I will start to hand stitch it and then take it to her to finish.
Do you like to use those little hair clips to hold it back as you go along? I find them really helpful.
I hope you're having a great Tuesday. The sun is shining and the fresh breeze is blowing through the house.
I'm off to make that cup of tea.

11 comments:

greelyrita said...

You've made me hungry!! We should make bread again. It's so good! Your painting doesn't look like it needs any practice to me. It's lovely. I don't use clips, no. I saw someone using them, tried it, but didn't fall in love with it. Then I started machine applying the binding and that needs no pins, nor even ironing the binding in half.

elle said...

ooh, heels! yum! I like baking bread but gluten free breads have taken the fun out of the whole experience. I can't seem to whip my creative abilities up to the challenge. lol The flower is showing good success!

Terri said...

I know what you mean about freshly baked bread... if you make it, you are entitled to eat some! That's why I don't make cookies anymore.
I've never used the hair clips. I use the long quilting pins (with little flowers on the top). They get me into trouble with the thread, and if I'm not careful they will scratch me. How do the clips work? Are you happy with them?
Hugs

Susan J Barker said...

Ive been trying to think of something creative to do with my day -- I already made one thing, but still have 3 hours til dinner time, but hey, if I start now, I can make some nice dinner rolls to go with the stew I have in the slow cooker, thanks for the inspriration. Never saw a reason to use pins or clips on the binding tho, just sewed as I went along...

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

great looking bread Holly...and love yhr quilting

Patti said...

Yum! I think I can smell that delicious bread!

Anonymous said...

Ohh, that bread looks so good! Fresh home made bread is unmatched in the world, I think. The quilt is great too. I don't use hair clips for binding, I just fold over the binding as I go along. I think they would be a very big help if I had pain in my hands, though.

MarveLes Art Studios said...

Sounds like a perfect day to me! I love the heel, and fresh out of the oven is an extra special - rarity treat! Yum yum. Beautiful flower, too. It's so much fun to practice with quality art products isn't it?

Regina said...

Oatmeal makes for yummy bread, and the heel is always the best part. In fact my kids fought over heels and crusts and I had a hard time explaining to them why people cut the crusts off their sandwiches.
Your flower is lovely.

rtquilter said...

Looks deelish! Yummm!! We are waiting for cooler weather to bake again.

Mary Ann Tate said...

Yum yum fresh bread...I love the smell. I'll be making bread again soon once the weather is a bit cooler:)