Sunday, January 9, 2011


I had 2 posts in one day and then I've fallen off for 4 days! I can offer lots of excuses. I'm still dragging for one, and I don't want to be boring with the details, but I did get a call from my doctor who wants to see me tomorrow. It seems one of my tests results showed an infection. That could definitely explain my exhaustion.
Then , I seem to have misplaced or lost the little camera that I like to drag around with me and have missed a few photo ops.
Yesterday, I went to my first UFO day of the year. Since it was snowing, I didn't feel like hauling my sewing machine with all the paraphernalia. I took the bag from my closet with my Mariner's Compass quilt that I've been working to to finish hand quilting for a few winters. I do a bit in the winter and in the spring I stuff it away again. Here is one of the sections I worked on yesterday. I'm using perle cotton to quilt the corner areas where there is only fabric with no piecing.

This is what we woke up to yesterday morning as seen from my kitchen window. Today we had that much more again. It's been snowing since Friday night. My husband is going out now to do some snow blowing and we may go for some snow shoeing a little later. I find it quite difficult in fresh snow; however, I do feel the need for a little fresh air.

I worked again last night to do 4 more squares on this quilt. I cannot believe how much fabric there was in that kit just for a bag. I have enough made now to add another row which would make it 4 squares by 5 squares, but I also think I have enough fabric to do the 10 more squares required to go to  5 by 6 squares. I thought I was finished but I think I should try to use all the fabric so I may keep going. The picture really doesn't do the colors justice. While they're not really my colors, They are very pretty.  The neutrals are really more golden and creamy. They show up very grayed even though I've photographed it at different times and in different lights.

I probably won't get to any more today because my husband, Gord, may come back into my sewing room to work on the baseboards. If  that is the case, I may do more hand quilting or possibly move my machine to to the dining table to machine quilt another quilt that I have on the go. I've shown it before, and likely will again as I'm machine quilting each square separately. I never do these things all in one sitting either due to arthritis. I call it my Winter quilt. Each one of my friends did a block.
These next few weeks are going to be very busy ones with lots of appointments and tests. Everything just seems to come at once. This week I have 2 doctor's appointments, a mammogram, physio, a hair cut and an appointment at the bank. The quilting girsl are also meeting and I have one last drawing lesson with my 2 friends.  So those are my excuses for the next little while.

1 comment:

Exuberant Color said...

It sounds like you are keeping busy despite the exhaustion.
wow, that's a lot of snow. I'm glad we are not getting the snow. It has been so cold here that I hate to leave the house. I have never been an outside person.
Hand quilting sounds like the perfect thing to take to a gathering; easy to do while joining in the conversations.