Wednesday, January 2, 2013

FMQing with novelty thread

When I finished piecing my crazy patch rose mug mat, I thought that the Wonderfil Accent threads I ordered a while ago would be perfect to experiment with. I got quite frustrated on the first one when the thread kept shredding at the needle, so I did some research and reached out to a friend. Thanks, Monika!
After much experimenting, I solved the problem and was able to do this test piece without a break in the thread.

After trying everything else that was recommended, I came across something about scratches or nicks in the throat plate. Upon examining mine, I noticed that mine had them and when I lowered the threaded needle, I could see that it was rubbing against the front of the plate where it was scratched. I consulted with my husband, he sanded it for me, and it worked.
I finished the second mug mat without a break! Very happy!

Here are the tips that I found:

1. Change needle type and size. I ended up using a metafil 80/12.
2. Loosen tension
3. If thread is on a cone, feeding it from a cup behind the machine will help. I added a taped on plastic covered paper clip to feed it through following a friends suggestion. She uses a safety pin.
4. Check for scratches or burs on throat plate. Worked for me!

Finally, I did say last week that I would post a picture of my finished Infinity scarf and hat. It's not my best picture , but here it is. I look a little mischievous, I think.

10 comments:

Mary Ann Tate said...

Love the fabrics you used in your mats. That's a good tip about the throat plate too...good to know. I think your picture is fabulous:)

Linda said...

Great info! Thanks. I tried using Accent without any luck and just gave up. I will try it again. Your photo is wonderful. Love your scarf and hat

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

You look very nice in your scarf and hat...love the colors. Nice tips for the thread problem too.

elle said...

Glad you got the thread problem untangled. You are looking good!

Sam said...

Thanks for the troubleshooting ideas. When my thread starts breaking I see red and loose my mind usually in a fit of swear words. It takes me a good 15 minutes to chill out and start looking for solutions.

Glenda said...

Beautiful mug mat and I love the scarf and hat beautiful color. By the way the scarf you made me for xmas I love it.

Carli The Quilter said...

Love your matching touque and scarf. Lovely!

Margaret said...

Lovely to find a kindred soul who knits as well as quilts. :-) Very chic cloche; love the colours!

Regina said...

Looking good there! And your mug rug is lovely.

Wendy said...

great tips! Mischievous? That makes me smile...you don't strike me as mischievous...I guess looks are deceiving.