Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Playing with free motion

It was one of those days where it was supposed to go one way and went instead in a completely different direction-- in a good way though. Yoga this morning was cancelled due to more snow on the way, but my friend and I wanted to do something, so we went snowshoeing. The snow was light and falling gently with no wind.



Then our other friend is leaving Friday for the South so since it wasn't yet snowing too heavily, we met her for lunch to wish her bon voyage.



After finishing another bagette yesterday, I could do  something new. I didn't really have enough time to get into my larger fiber art pieces.

 

 Still in the mood for rummaging into my scrap boxes, I found some pieces that weren't big enough for bags but just right for bookmarks.



It is so fun!
Cut the prints
 Back them with a heavy stabilizer.
Add some fusible backed flower and leaf shapes (from a fusible scrap box)
Spread some threads or ribbon bits (collected from fiber art projects and friends)
Lay tulle on top

 

Free motion stitch it all down. See what a difference a little stitching will make?


Add fabric to the back and zigzag around it.


I'll add them to my box where I collect little gifts to use for friend's birthdays and such. Add some tea and boo for a perfect personal; little gift.

4 comments:

Watercolour and Textile Artist, Eileen Gidman said...

A very clever way to use up those scraps and create a gift. I was just saying yesterday at the quilt group "I need to think of something to do with my hand painted scraps" Thanks for the idea.

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Neat process Holly...I like the tule idea

Jennifer Scantlebury Vienneau said...

Smart of you to have a collection of gifts! I need to be that organized! We have gotten about 8 inches of snow here so far with so sign of it letting up. At least it is warmer and there isn't any significant wind. My dad says spring is 382 days away...can't blame him - he can't even see out his windows for the snow drifts! That's on the south shore of PEI..

Margaret said...

Great fun!