Monday, June 23, 2014

Sometimes Mondays are productive

We had such a lovely visit on the weekend with my son, his fiancé, and their puppy in their new home.
In between a couple of outings, the men managed to get the deer fence up all except the door which my don will finish up.

I had a really nice visit at the local quilt shop in Quispamsis, called Town and Country Quilts. They even asked if I might be interested in doing a workshop so I left my card and we will talk.
I purchased a few 1/4 meter cuts in colors that I often use for borders on mr textile art.

As you'll notice in the picture, I picked up a few colourful zippers too. I like to make the odd zippered pouch and the zippers not easy to find here.
Last night, before bed, I made a little list of things I'd like to get done this week. Do you do that? It not only keeps me from forgetting important things, it also calms my mind for sleep. Knowing that I've written everything down means I can stop that crazy whirling of thoughts at bedtime.
I got a good start today, making phone calls, checking appointments, and planting 3 hostas. Of course it wasn't simply a matter of sticking them in somewhere (well for 2 it was). I had to go dig up some sod and move a plant to make some space. The Mosquitos were annoying and despite moderate temperatures, I worked up a sweat. So much so that the salt was stinging my eyes!

Can you see the two tiny plants in front of the cedar on the left? I moved the astilbe to the far left and put in the new hosts to the right of it. The dark area is where I lifted the sod to expand the garden. It seems do little, but it sure produced a lot of sweat!
Afterwards, I showered off and went to meet a friend for a quick lunch salad and gave her some fabric that she requested.
I spent my afternoon writing and editing.
Mid afternoon, I stopped to make my version of a rustic potato salad.

Sweet potato, regular potato, boiled egg, chopped celery, chopped red pepper.
Gently fold in Greek yogurt and mayonnaise--1:1, salt, Dijon mustard, paprika, chives and parsley.

The pretty bowl is one I bought from a friend's yard sale for a couple of dollars. It was meant to be for a garden sculpture but I decided it was too nice.

3 comments:

Jennifer Scantlebury Vienneau said...

Your salad looks yummy, Holly! Love the idea of using sweet potato as well. I just saw a recipe for a faux-potato salad using steamed cauliflower. If cauliflower ever gets below 5.00 a head, I am going to give it a try.

Mystic Quilter said...

Delicious looking salad - must put that one on my lunch list!

Anonymous said...

thanks for the recipe...my hubby loves potato salads!