Thursday, June 5, 2014

Apple blossoms, waxwings, and recycled glass solar lights

Every year just as our apple tree is bursting into bloom the waxwings arrive. I'm never sure if they're sampling the nectar or actually eating the blossoms. We always have plenty of apples regardless so I won't begrudge them. They seem to have a soft pink hue on their breast and would be very pretty if not for the bandit like mask around their eyes.

I went out the other night after posting about my recycled glass feeder with the solar light inside and tried to get a picture as it was getting dark. The solar light  works!
I can't wait to try more!
 It took me 3 tries to figure out how to turn off the flash. I confess that I am very lazy about reading and learning to use all the features on my camera. I have a Canon Rebel Eos and I barely know the basics! There are just so many things to learn, aren't there? I really must.
One thing I learned in my reading about photography once was to take lots of pictures and you're bound to get one good one. This is how I got the next one of the apple blossoms. There were a few that were not so great. Digital is so fun!
 I'm just sorry that I am leaving my yard just as things are coming into bloom. I'm going to visit my daughter in PEI where she is going to university. (I can hardly believe I can write that after she spent 3 1/2 years in Korea). I think the lilacs might be out when I get back though; isn't that what is lovely about summer? It has its own phases of flower and plant growth.


1 comment:

beth said...

Have a GREAT time with your daughter! How fun!