Saturday, April 28, 2012

zipping along on the hummignbird

This morning I went shopping for  hoping to find a bathing suit and some blouses. I didn't find any of that but I got a bra, half price and and a zip up sweater for golfing. Oh how I loathe shopping, unless it's fabric, yarn, or art supplies!
 After lunch I added some pale color to the  bird and the flower with my Neocolor II crayons and picked out some borders which I will add using the quilt as you go method. I've recently started doing this because sometimes after all the FMQ work is done I can change my mind about the border.

 I will be using Shiva Piantsticks for the addition of some richer color and I need to outline the eye as well.
Next, I had so much fun free motion quilting on the hummingbird, that I  could barely stop to make supper. It is in the oven as I write this. I added some dense foliage on the bottom with a variegated green. The background color seems to have come out the best in this next picture.

I felt the piece called for exuberant quilting, and so I continued with variegated light blue scrolls on the top.

I've been following Leslie's blog and inspired by her lushness, I kept going layering on some bobbin work scrolls using a heavier thread called YLR worked form the backside of the piece. I can't wait to finish this piece!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see this one complete as it's a stunner so far!
Stay inspired!

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

It's beautiful Holly.....I love the quilting you added.

elle said...

Leslie is very inspiring and sew are you! It looks great!