None of my 3 children were able to come home this weekend and my husband went for the day to help his brother at the cottage, so I'm having a very quiet day. I made a small batch of hot cross buns this morning just like my mom used to do. I'll take them to UFO day tomorrow so I don't eat them all myself!
Not one to waste a day, I decided to sew up another sewing kit.
I added green fabric to the tulip piece, sandwiched it with batting and a thin muslin and quilted it.
Next, I cut a lining fabric and interfacing the same size. In the picture, the interfacing is behind the lining. I like to add it to give the little kit some stability. Onto that I arrange squares of wool taken from recycled felted sweaters. I pin them quite carefully, but still the wool will stretch a little when stitched down. I added a flap of batting which could be used for needles or pins.
After everything is stitched down with a zigzag, I put the front and back pieces together right sides facing, and stitched it around with a 1/4 inch seam, leaving a couple of inches open on the bottom for turning. I've also inserted a hair elastic into the side seam as a closure.
Clip and trim the corners, turn, iron the seams and stitch it closed by hand. I then give it another good press and add the top stitching around the outside edge. It just needs a button for the closure.