I sat down with renewed energy this afternoon and decided to flip the sewing kit inside out and insert the orange hair elastic into the seam. Then I turned it right side out again, top stitched and added an old button--A better finish than a snap, think.
I've had the poplar piece hanging on the design wall and have been trying to figure how I would proceed. Instead of jumping in without planning, I decided to try doing a couple of little thumbnails in my sketchbook, however, it is really hard to get the same color and texture that is in the fabric, so I'm not sure how useful it was. I did get the idea of what I want though.
I added color to the piece using pastels. It's not a medium I would normally use on fabric, but I rather like the color and the softness of it. It will still have to be sprayed with fixative. We'll see how that works. It is all an experiment! OK, I know it might have been smarter to experiment on a smaller piece but I just don't think that far ahead. I've come this far with it, I have to keep going. It's not at all what I had planned when I started; that's how it works sometimes.
And since the title of this post is Thursday's table, I'm including a pic of my cutting/work table. I'm not usually quite this messy.