Wednesday, November 11, 2009

It's all about the process

One blog that I read said that they would not usually post an unfinished project. For me it is all about the unfinished project and the process I go through when I'm creating. I start with an idea in my head, and sometimes a vague sketch. I think I know how I'm going to get there, but in the process I often find something doesn't' work the way I thought it would and I try something else. this is where the "what if?" comes in.
So last week, I received a package put together for me form the Laurie swim workshop that I had to miss. There was a sample of free motion stitched bits of ribbon, yarn, and scraps of fabric. this afternoon I started playing around with it. first of all I did free moti0n stitch my own, and it is hanging to dry right now. Then I started playing with some ideas. First I tried some needle lace with little strips of fabric to look like trees. When I put it on though, I didn't like it.
Then I decided to use just one birch tree--it's plain as yet-- I will thread paint it, and I also went back and re- cut the tree, only taller so it would run off the fabric. At that point I decided it needed a background, so I cut a piece of grey Dupioni silk. Now I'm gettting somewhere.
I have to go now and get ready for work tomorrow, but at least now I think I know what I will do next.

No comments: