Saturday, October 3, 2020

Autumn colors, leaves and foods

I don’t know what’s gotten into me; I have energy! I was born in October- next week actually, and maybe that’s partly why. Summer is nice with all the long days, bright foliage and flowers and beach time but I really mind the heat.

These cooler days seem to awaken me although I’ve sadly noticed the rapidly shortening days. And it’s sad pulling out plants and letting go of Athens garden. I still have a few things growing undercover in the raised bed- Swiss chard, a bit of lettuce and some kale. 

This morning, I licked all the rest of the little tomatoes all from one plant. This morning, I steamed a bowl of Roma tomatoes to skin and bag for the freezer.



I’ve really been enjoying using as many garden vegetables in a meal as I can. At lunch today I made a small whole grain sandwich with hummus, tomatoes, lettuce and sprouts. In the little bowl are roasted lentils that I just picked up on sale at the groceries. They’re good. I like crunchy snacks.



I made the partially puréed veggie soup using the hand held blender at supper time. It gave me time for a little stroll on a trail Nit far from here that I haven’t visited in a while.i even had time to spend an hour or so with paints and paper before I mixed up the Irish soda bread. It’s hearty and very easy to mix up.




Since I can’t walk far (for those who don’t know, I need a hip replacement), I drive to trail entrances and take short stroll with my camera. It gets me outside and in nature and really inspires me.











Walking slowly enables me to notice lots of small flora. Some I know and some I must look up. Often it’ll be a uniquique shape or striking color that attracts me. Today, some of the leaves were glowing in the sunlight.

It has really inspired me to pull out paper and watercolours to play with leaf shapes.











These I did after my walk and lunch today on copy paper and tracing paper. I’m experimenting with different types of paper and it’s fun to see how the paint will react.





I really like some of these: 



And what will I do with them all you say? Well for sure, I’m not finished yet! I will cut many out, add details and use them in collages or cards.

I feel as though I’m just getting started, there are so many more shapes to do and even pine or fir cones or even lichens. Ooh, there’s too little time.








I saw this shelf in a catalogue on line and my husband made it for me. It’s on the back of a kitchen cabinet on my little dining room side. I enjoy having a few pieces of pottery on display.




Yesterday, I spent some time painting circles - they will become planets- to add to a craft box that I mailed to my 4 year old grandson. I put in dot to dots found on line, and lots of supplies including kits for some paper plates crafts and also some paper weaving.



It was a lot of fun and I’m sure he’ll love as he could spend hrs making things.

And last but not least, my donation piece to the SAQA benefit auction sold for a very good price and I’ll rather elated. It feels good after a bit of a rough summer and dry patch.









No comments: