Tuesday, October 20, 2020

A fall fiber collage

My recent inspiration and desire to get back into a small piece of fiber art stopped me in my tracks in the the last couple of days. First, I went looking for the Saran wrap that I would normally use in making confetti leaves. I would sandwich the leaves between work 2 pieces of the wrap in a hoop and free motion stitch. It’s such fun!  But not so, lol. There was no Saran Wrap to be found anywhere. Do they not make it anymore?
I tried a different brand.



Then my machine wasn’t cooperating, snarling and snagging and finally jamming completely.  Then I thought of adding a layer of Sulky dissolvable underneath and after spending an hour cleaning out, unjamming, and oiling the machine, I finally got it done.

Well, the Sulky rinsed away but the plastic wouldn’t melt away under newspaper.





So, I had to start again this time using Sulky underneath and netting overtop.



Finally it worked. I dissolved the Sulky let it dry, and cut out some pieces, whew.

I’ve laid some out in a loose fashion to see how I’ll proceed.





Bear in mind that I won’t iron any of the foreground trees down until I’ve stitched the very background.
And there won’t be any at right lines of fabric in the foreground as there is now. Some fabrics may also change. It’s a process.
At least I finally ironed out the problems and can stop in a good place.



It’s a good thing that I roasted butternut squash with carrots, apples, an onion and garlic while I was eating lunch. When it was cool I processed it for  a soup for supper. We had thick lentil loaf sandwiches for lunch so our dinner can be lighter.

 Then I was free to play (struggle) in the studio. 


Since getting my hip injection last week, things have slowly improved so that I’m able to get short walks with my poles.
We went yesterday to the Pabineau falls area.



There was a roar of water over the rocks since all the rain we’ve had.



Isn’t the fungi amazing?



This pic looks so much like what I’m doing now. Birch tree stands all look similar.



I took many pictures that would make beautiful artwork and I came home feeling like a very insignificant part of the earth but also truly happy and  inspired.





Happy Tuesday! 
I’m off to an endo dentist in Moncton tomorrow.  It’s just to have a consult for now.

After printing the pattern and getting the right size needles today, I’m planning to start one of these tonight in my own version. You can mix and mash the motifs and colors.




No comments: