Sunday, October 25, 2020

Cool October day-garden chores and sewing

Today, it’s about 2C and we are expecting snow tomorrow. There were a few bits of garden work left to do so,  we went outside for a little while. Although cool, the sun is shining and we warmed very quickly. I picked a few last bits of greens and planted some garlic which we covered in straw.




You can just see the straw where I put the garlic in between the holly bushes. It’s a nice sunny spot so we’ll see how it does.

Then G turned the raised bed, emptied part of it, and added some leaves and compost.



When he went to stir the compost he found the potatoes growing there.



Even a bit of the lemon verbena was regrowing and I brought it in.
This morning, I laid out the majestic mountains quilt top and cut the final borders.






Cutting the last 2 borders was the only thing keeping me from putting them on and getting it ready for the quilter. I’ve got the backing and the batting  ready to go. Since my village houses baby quilt is with her now, I was hoping I could give her this one when she returns the baby quilt.



My daughter sent me photos this morning that she’d had taken on Thanksgiving at her in laws.
I sure love the one with the boys. A tender moment.





I’ve been trying to go down my list of UFOs and get some of these things finished. 
I finally finished putting in the zipper. It’s not perfect but Ollie will be wearing it to play outside I’m sure,  so who’ll notice.



I started knitting a Christmas stocking for little Gussie. It’s a pattern with basic directions and then has charts that you can choose and put the motifs  where you like in your choice of colours. It does include directions for the after thought heel that I’ve not tried before. I’m just past the point where I put the heel stitches on the waste yarn which will be put on needles later and knit. The bright green yarn that you can see hanging on each side of the marker is the waste yarn. So you keep knitting straight down to the toe before doing the heel. Hope this works!



I had quite a day Friday working on the latest fall  fiber art.
I spent almost 4 hours, morning and afternoon, stitching the distant trees and then cutting slivers to add for closer but still background trees. Once I stitch these down, there will be some closer larger ones.



I’ve got a few laid on and then I’m auditioning some of the foreground leaves which aren’t going on yet. I’m really anxious to get going on it but today required  some outdoor stuff and also preparing the latest quilt top for the quilter.
I don’t have anything in my schedule this week except a haircut, something I’ve not had since June! It’s wild. This is my latest mask. It has a little piece shaped like a pumpkin seed folded over and stitched into the top seam. It fits well.



It’s found on Barb.com




Wherever you are, I hope you’re enjoying your weekend.

By the way, are you a you tube watcher? I’ve been watching more and more at night when I can’t find any good tv.
 My son introduced me to some homestead ones that I enjoy. I found  some called Little Drops of Wonderful, Fairyland Cottage, and the Elliot Homestead to name only a few. I’ve got lots to watch at night and I really enjoy them.

Let me know if you can recommend any and I’ll add more next time if there’s interest,

No comments: