Friday, April 27, 2012

more prints, adding texture and thread sketching

I promised yesterday that I would show some more of my printing results, so here are some with a seashore theme for which I made my own gelatin mold. I whipped the gelatin with a wire whisk for lots of bubbles in the gelatin. This shows up in the print. I used dried, pressed seaweed and a paper masque for the shell. They will be developed further with stitch and paint.
 Here I stamped on my mono printed cotton with a homemade seahorse stamp. The seashell will be lightly painted in and defined with stitching. Don't you love the bubbles?

I'm aiming for the look of a fairy tale castle in the sea.  made teh stamp with craft foam and mounted it on Plexiglas which my husband cuts and sands for me.
I did several more which you'll see off and on as I decide to work on them.
I was out for lunch, errands and groceries today and when I got home I added a  little more texture to my hummingbird pieces with screens, and odd bits of things I've collected with interesting textures.
I was dying to get started on doing some black thread sketching. The last time I tried this, I used a tissue paper overlay which I did not enjoy picking off. I realized it should have been reversed and done from the back side but sometimes the bobbin stitching doesn't look as good as the top thread.
This time, I lightly outlined with a pencil on the right side and then went ahead and stitched referring back to my sketches when needed. Something is missing in the bottom center. I will be adding something there. I've done the corn flowers before as some of you may remember. I love their colors and their wispy petals. I will be adding color to the hummingbird and the flowers.
As i write this, I'm listening to the music on this blog. It is so beautiful!


4 comments:

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

These are the neatest things....never to old to learn something new,eh.

Margaret Applin said...

You are soooo good at the gelatin monoprinting!!!! I want to see MORE!!!!!

imquilternity said...

This progress is exciting to watch and, yes, I love the bubbles.

elle said...

The bubbles are great. I've not tried anything like this. Looks good!