Monday, April 2, 2012

finished sewing/jewellery kit

This morning, I got some basic cleaning done, met friends for tea, picked up a couple of grocery items, and made lunch for Gord and I. He's been working on his latest project from home, so we've been in the habit of getting out for a walk right after we eat.

After that, I put the finishing touches on the little tulip kit including adding a traditional quilt binding. The last one I made was a little smaller and I envelope turned it. This is the first time I've tried machine stitching down a binding, and I don't think I would do it on a quilt. I had a  hard time to get it perfectly straight where the stitching shows on the other side. Also, at the corners, the needle wouldn't stitch through them. Maybe I just need more practice and some helpful hints but I think I prefer hand stitching a binding down.

Then before stopping for a break, I sandwiched this little 4 by 6 inch tulip piece and just started free motion stitching the tulips.

I've got to get something started for supper--a stuffed squash, I think--so I have to get it cleaned and baked so I can then make the stuffing. I'll add some cooked quinoa, some flax meal, seasonings, maybe some dried cranberries and sunflower seeds, then Parmesan on top. Then it goes back in the oven to warm up.

4 comments:

Gill said...

Fabulous!
I always sew my bindings by hand! it's my favourite part!

elle said...

Lovely. I have machine stitched and it is time consuming to do it right and then it looks, well, second class. I don't mind handstitching but sometimes 12 placemats is a bit much.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. When I saw the first image I thought it was a lovely quilted envelope to hold note cards.
Stay inspired!

greelyrita said...

I machine quilt community quilts for a guild and I do the binding as well. This lead me to try sewing the binding on completely by machine. It's definitely something I am now better at after doing a bunch of them. I loved hand sewing the bindings but my shoulder doesn't like long stretches of this anymore. That was another incentive to get better at doing it another way. If you had shown a closeup, I might be able to suggest something.