Friday, September 5, 2014

Testing another sun print

It's been a while since I did sun prints so I forgot some of the hints for success. Today is calm and I'm using Setacolor transparent paints. The plant material is not exactly flat though and may therefore not give the best results.

I'm a trial and error learner. If this proves less than my desires, I shall pick a few more grasses and try to wait while I flatten them in an old phone book.
At breakfast this morning I did a colored pencil sketch of one of my sweet peas. They haven't had much of a chance really, having to fight their way through a sprawling cucumber and up a Holly bush.

I hope I'll get a few more blossoms before the frost gets them. It's coming soon.

This is where I stopped yesterday with my strip piecing in sand colors. The top two pieces are not yet sewn. The rectangular inserts represent pieces of a breakwater.

It's a learning experience with this type of piece. I'm playing; we'll see where it leads me.
I'm off now on a few errands and lunch. Hoping to get out tonight in my kayak. It's going to be a warm day.
I'm wishing you a lovely and perhaps creative weekend.

4 comments:

Mereknits said...

Holly, I am in awe of your talent.
Hugs and have a great weekend,
Meredith

Miss Iowa said...

Lovely sweet peas and sketch! The color reminds me of watermelon.

Watercolour and Textile Artist, Eileen Gidman said...

Sun prints. I always say I am going to do them but haven't yet. Any hints are appreciated.

sdBev said...

Holly
I am astonished by your productivity. I am retired and never get as much done as you. Lovin the sun printing. Its a technique I would like to try.