Sunday, February 14, 2010

Hit the Ski Slopes


Today we finally made up to Sugarloaf, NB. It was only our second time out on the slopes this year, and it will be our last until we go away for the March break in two weeks time. Boy am I out of shape! I can hardly keep my eyes open right now. I was awake unable to sleep around 5:00 this morning though, so I made a tea and read some. We left the house around 8:15; it takes about an hour to get there, and the lift doesn't open until 10:00. We had heard about a clearance sale at the ski shop and we were able to buy ourselves helmets-- something we've been wanting to get for a while. Now we'll have them to ski at Stoneham, Que. on the break.
When I came home I put one of my frozen lasagnas in the oven and I came into my sewing room. That's when I decided to pull this quilt that I had started to hand quilt last year out of the closet. The center is a Mariner's Compass that I did by hand after a one day work shop several years ago. I then designed the rest of the quilt and finished it by machine. I've decided to hand quilt the areas that are hand sewn, and I may finish with some machine quilting. The picture above is of the top in the process of being sandwiched. I remember we taped it to my friend's kitchen floor and made a mess of her floor! She ended up having to strip it after much washing which woudn't take the sticky off. I forget what kind of tape we used but obviously it wasn't low tack masking tape.
This next picture is of the center part -the Mariner's Compass- that I am hand quilting.

1 comment:

imquilternity said...

Your quilt is absolutely gorgeous! I love the colors you chose.