Monday, October 6, 2014

Enjoying my birthday my way


Today is my birthday and aside from a doctors appointment this morning, I've tried to slow down and enjoy the day my way. Upon awakening, I thought I might sew, but it turned into such a sunny warm day that I took my walking poles and camera and headed out for a walk. I went to the trail in east Bathurst where I haven't been in a while.
When you have to slow down, walking becomes more about each step you take. I stop to breathe deeply and feel the warmth of the sun on my face. I notice  the little details in front of me instead of letting them  flow by unnoticed in a blur when I walked for speed.
The bright pinks of the fireweed  have faded but are still pretty in their way.
The summer brights on the rolling hills have softened. It makes me want to return to see if there will be more golds or if the leaves will simply fade and fall.
I came upon these berries, thinking at first that they were small rosehips, but realizing as noticed my boggy surroundings that they must be cranberries. Too bad I didn't have a container. There were lots.
Along my drive back home, I stopped and took more pictures of Indian Island in our downtown.
I'm wondering if the colors will get any brighter on the island, and if so, I hope that I don't miss it. I'm going to be away this weekend for 5 days visiting family on PEI. When I come back I'll be packing for our guild retreat the following weekend.
I planned to sew together the 9 patches of this disappearing pinwheel that is our guild block of the month, but the sunshine was beckoning. You might notice that the fabrics are different than I showed in the last post. This is my 3rd try! And likely why I'm better at art quilting. I cut the block wrong twice before I figured it out, lol!
I just have to put the 9 pieces together now, so I should get it done for tomorrow night. No wonder I don't usually do the block of the month.
Happy Monday everyone! I hope you're enjoying your day in your way.






8 comments:

Mystic Quilter said...

Happy Birthday!
Have a happy time visiting family - I watched Anne of Green Gables again the other week, the scenery is beautiful, and I love the story.

Jennifer Scantlebury Vienneau said...

Happy birthday, Holly!! Have a great weekend on the island! The weather should be nice, so lots of opportunities for photos. I also have a heck of a time with block of the month and rarely do it..lol..It is coincidental that I decided I would try really hard this year and have had ours on my mind all day, but I still haven't sewn one up..Like you, the outdoors beckoned and my hubby and I went for a lovely walk at a local park instead of our usual trek around our roads here. It was a great change of scenery and so good for the soul.

Dolores said...

Sounds like you're having a lovely day. Happy Birthday - from one Libra to another.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Happy Birthday!! Everyone should slow down and enjoy their birthday. The photo of cranberries was so pretty.

Miss Iowa said...

Happy Birthday! Sounds like you had a lovely day.

What Comes Next? said...

happy belated birthday Holly! Sounds like you had a good day - you have some wonderful places to walk - always such great pghotos!

Jeito Mineiro de Ser said...

Happy Birthday! I wish good health, serenity and beautiful work!
Hugs!
Egléa

Mereknits said...

Happy Birthday Holly, so sorry I missed you yesterday. I am glad you were able to get out and enjoy a beautiful day.
Meredith