Tuesday, May 15, 2012

a wrinkle in the sea

Oh how I love to sit here in my studio with the window open listening to the birds! A soft rain started about a half hour ago as well. This week, I've been photographing the birds like crazy. Here is one of a pair of woodpeckers that likes to visit.
 We've had these white crowned sparrows here lately. They're not a common bird here.
I was out of town yesterday and so was quite happy to get back to my castle today. I finished the machine quilting when I ran into a little wrinkle-- yes literally. Why do these things happen on one's favorite pieces? If you look to the left and right about halfway the fabric is wrinkled. I ironed everything and spray basted before I started and all seemed smooth. I think the crease may have been in the interfacing underneath. I have tried ironing but there still seems to be a bit left. I'm going to leave it for now; I may have to take out the one side and redo it.
 You can see that I've added 3 star fish at the bottom. I started with Neo Color II crayons which weren't intense enough so I did them over with Setacolor fabric paint.
And I was so excited to be done, so I could start the beading and embellishing.
 I'm linking to the Needle and Thread Network today. There is lots of quilting and needlework to look at there.

14 comments:

elle said...

Too bad about the wrinkle. This is indeed lovely. Do you add a backing after the beading is done?

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Another very pretty piece.....will be even prettier with the beading. I have a pic I took of a little hummingbird in my kitchen window yesterday.l am going to add it to my WIPs tommorrow. They are so elegant to watch....love the birds.

pegsplace said...

So beautiful! I am so curious to see the beading, so intricate. There are so many birds here too. I live in the country and I saw a flock of vultures feasting on roadkill the other day. No picture :(. We also have a woodpecker who visits everyday. No hummingbirds yet but I haven't hung me feeder yet. Funny how we stitchers love nature! The added fish are cute!

Monika Kinner-Whalen / My Sweet Prairie said...

Oh how nice to enjoy the birds! : ) Wrinkles suck. I'm sorry about that. I really love the castle so much!

Thanks for linking Holly. : )

~Monika

Susan Being Snippy said...

In every part of our country there are quiltmakers and crafters who take moments to watch the birds. The first time I noticed the connection was in my aunt who taught me quilting and would send me to the barn for oats or wheat to set out for the birds... Maybe a beaded creature to cover the wrinkle??

greelyrita said...

Yes, birding and quilting. Seems like bird quilt patterns should be a big hit. There are other pairings like this. Computer programming and woodworking: very common.

Nice work Holly! Way annoying about the wrinkle. The scene looks like it's underwater. So dreamy!

Mary Ann said...

I spend a great deal of time bird watching:) I love what you are doing with this piece.

M-R said...

Great job with the castle, Holly. Bummer about the wrinkles!

PrairiePeasant said...

I love your surface design--I'll have to look back at older posts so find out more about your techniques! One more thing to try someday!

Regina said...

A female of this species of wood peckers is a daily visitor to my bird feeder, her hubby not so much....

Mrs.Pickles said...

Lovely work and photos

Leslie McNeil of MarveLes Art Studios said...

How exciting to get the new threads! At least I would be! looking forward to seeing/hearing how they work for you and with you. EnJOY Holly.

Grandma Coco said...

Beads on quilts. Does it get any better than that? Had to laugh when I read you refer to your 'castle' because that's exactly how I feel about our home.

Dolores said...

I thought by castle you meant your home and then I saw your creation. Lovely.
I too saw and photographed some woodpeckers but these were on the other side of the country in the BC interior.