Tuesday, May 15, 2012

a wrinkle in the sea

Oh how I love to sit here in my studio with the window open listening to the birds! A soft rain started about a half hour ago as well. This week, I've been photographing the birds like crazy. Here is one of a pair of woodpeckers that likes to visit.
 We've had these white crowned sparrows here lately. They're not a common bird here.
I was out of town yesterday and so was quite happy to get back to my castle today. I finished the machine quilting when I ran into a little wrinkle-- yes literally. Why do these things happen on one's favorite pieces? If you look to the left and right about halfway the fabric is wrinkled. I ironed everything and spray basted before I started and all seemed smooth. I think the crease may have been in the interfacing underneath. I have tried ironing but there still seems to be a bit left. I'm going to leave it for now; I may have to take out the one side and redo it.
 You can see that I've added 3 star fish at the bottom. I started with Neo Color II crayons which weren't intense enough so I did them over with Setacolor fabric paint.
And I was so excited to be done, so I could start the beading and embellishing.
 I'm linking to the Needle and Thread Network today. There is lots of quilting and needlework to look at there.

14 comments:

elle said...

Too bad about the wrinkle. This is indeed lovely. Do you add a backing after the beading is done?

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Another very pretty piece.....will be even prettier with the beading. I have a pic I took of a little hummingbird in my kitchen window yesterday.l am going to add it to my WIPs tommorrow. They are so elegant to watch....love the birds.

Anonymous said...

So beautiful! I am so curious to see the beading, so intricate. There are so many birds here too. I live in the country and I saw a flock of vultures feasting on roadkill the other day. No picture :(. We also have a woodpecker who visits everyday. No hummingbirds yet but I haven't hung me feeder yet. Funny how we stitchers love nature! The added fish are cute!

monika@mysweetprairie.ca said...

Oh how nice to enjoy the birds! : ) Wrinkles suck. I'm sorry about that. I really love the castle so much!

Thanks for linking Holly. : )

~Monika

Susan J Barker said...

In every part of our country there are quiltmakers and crafters who take moments to watch the birds. The first time I noticed the connection was in my aunt who taught me quilting and would send me to the barn for oats or wheat to set out for the birds... Maybe a beaded creature to cover the wrinkle??

greelyrita said...

Yes, birding and quilting. Seems like bird quilt patterns should be a big hit. There are other pairings like this. Computer programming and woodworking: very common.

Nice work Holly! Way annoying about the wrinkle. The scene looks like it's underwater. So dreamy!

Mary Ann Tate said...

I spend a great deal of time bird watching:) I love what you are doing with this piece.

M-R Charbonneau said...

Great job with the castle, Holly. Bummer about the wrinkles!

PrairiePeasant said...

I love your surface design--I'll have to look back at older posts so find out more about your techniques! One more thing to try someday!

Regina said...

A female of this species of wood peckers is a daily visitor to my bird feeder, her hubby not so much....

Mrs.Pickles said...

Lovely work and photos

MarveLes Art Studios said...

How exciting to get the new threads! At least I would be! looking forward to seeing/hearing how they work for you and with you. EnJOY Holly.

Cheryl Coville said...

Beads on quilts. Does it get any better than that? Had to laugh when I read you refer to your 'castle' because that's exactly how I feel about our home.

Dolores said...

I thought by castle you meant your home and then I saw your creation. Lovely.
I too saw and photographed some woodpeckers but these were on the other side of the country in the BC interior.