I ran over to Staples this morning and picked up two sheets of overhead projector Mylar. Boy that stuff is expensive! And I didn't want to get a bunch until I tested it. Turns out it is perfect! I think even stencil material might be too thick for me. It is a little hard on the hand and wrist tracing with the heat tool, but with the thinner plastic sheets, it just glides and cuts in one simple pass of the tool. Here you see the same stencil I tried yesterday cut with the overhead plastic--much easier to get details.
Then, I couldn't wait to try it out. I happened to find a spray can of Elmer's glue, advertized for use on stencils; it's amazing what I can find in my closet! After spraying a fine coat of spray on the back of the stencil, I dabbed at it with a rag to take off any globs and to leave it just tacky. The bit of glue stays there and is just tacky enough, to have a better connection with the fabric thus resulting in better lines.
I tried a stencil brush, but found the paste which is jelly like, works best with a sponge brush. Here you see the vague impression of the paste applied to a commercial fabric. This is what it looks like before ironing.
Here it is on a Bali.
The next step will be to cut the second design and try it out. Then I will be ready to carry it further--perhaps I'll make a foam stamp all or part of the design to use on the Gelli plate. I might even send it to be made into a silkscreen. One design can be used for lots of fun!