Monday, January 30, 2012
clean house, clean clothes and a little play time
Before we went for breakfast at our favorite restaurant, the Nectar, we took a little drive over to the mouth of the Nepisiquit River where there are some smelt fishing huts. I keep taking pictures in case I might want to draw them sometime. I have a long list.
Afterwards we went snowshoeing and then out to visit the in laws, so that was yesterday. I've wandered into the studio a couple of times to audition fabric for the borders on my cosmos piece. I've sewn 3 borders on and I've auditioned a couple of fabrics for the next one. The problem is I can't even decide on the orientation of the piece. That is, should it be a hanging or should I make it as a table topper? As a hanging I would make it longer and as a table topper, I would make it wider. Decisions, decisions. Now that I see it pictured here, I believe I'll go with choice # one. It helps to see it on the screen.
So I'm distracting myself with something else. Last year, I found a couple of websites showing how to cut snowflakes and I cut a few for my window. Here is one by Martha Stewart. Ever since I did my piece with the snow dyeing, I've been thinking about how I could incorporate them into it. After I did my bit of Monday housework this morning, and hung out a load clothes (last year by this time the clothes were not able to clear the snow), I experimented with cutting a few snowflakes.
While trying to figure out how I could transfer the designs to the fabric, I remembered the discharge paste that I bought last year. I had cut the first one from copy paper when I thought of using freezer paper so I could iron it on. I simply sprayed the copy paper one with a bit of basting spray and applied them to the fabric. Then with a sponge brush, I dabbed on the discharge paste, to which I added a few drops of Golden fluid acrylic, titanium white..
Here it is dried with the paper removed, not very bright.
This is after ironing, quite a difference!