While I was waiting for my soda soaking fabric, the other day, I took out the Gelli plate and decided to do a little printing. I usually collect textural items and keep them near my drafting table, so I don't have to go looking for stuff. I also had some white papillon washed and torn into pieces ready to print.
Using a palette knife and or a plastic knife, I dabbed some Setacolor fabric paint onto the plate and spread it with a brayer.You can see in the 2nd picture above that I have spread the green and dabbed on some pink that hasn't yet been spread. You have to be careful not to over do it with the brayer or the colors will all mix together.
Next, I carefully laid the tracing paper flower shapes that I had drawn and cut out last week onto the plate to act as a resist.
Then, to create some texture, I used a plastic grid and a piece of lace which I laid on and lifted before putting the papillon down.
Finally, lay the fabric onto the plate and rub all over with fingers. I suppose you could use a plastic spoon, (rubber gloves wouldn't work) though there isn't really any paint that comes through.Carefully pull it off and lay or hang it to dry. I wipe the gelli with a clean rag and start again. The next day, I heat set with the iron and a piece of muslin over the top.
I did 3 prints. The 2nd and 3rd didn't turn out as well as the first. I was using a paint with metallic in it and it dried quite quickly.