Since reading this post the other day on the blog Dion, Dior and More, I've wanted to try her method of working on black gesso with Neocolor II crayons.Today, I gave it a try with a quick sketch of my fading cone flowers. The only thing I had to change was the background. Having no black gesso, I used black acrylic paint. I suspect the gesso would have held the crayons better but mine seemed to work quite well. I did have to do several layers though. My lines are thick because I couldn't quickly find a brush that I wanted to put in the 'maskit', so I used the squeeze bottle nozzle and it came out in blotches.
Here is my first attempt. It would be worth it to get the right gesso.