Thursday, October 17, 2019

Birch tree, packing for retreat

Today has been a busy day- packing my suitcase, my projects and miscellaneous stuff that goes with my machine, my pills, and some snacks. I also ran a quick errand, did a load of clothes and finished vacuuming a couple rooms. Whew. I was motivated though. Not only do I need to be ready to go at around 9:30ish in the morning, but I also really wanted a little time to work out a couple of ideas for my fiber art birch tree. 

The windy is howling, the leaves swirling and it’s rainy here today. Some places are without power in the maritimes. I hope it’ll be ok here.




I had about an hour and a half before I had to stop to put a chicken with veggies  into the oven. There will be leftovers for the weekend for hubby.

Using the rotary cutter, I laid some slivers of neutral fabrics onto a sheet of Saran Wrap plus and then added another layer of Saran before hooping it. Now it’s ready to free motion stitch.








Finally, I take it off the hoop and cut off the access Saran. Then I put it between layers of newsprint to melt away the Saran by ironing. I open my window for ventilation.



Although my stash is pretty good, I want the ‘twigs’ to recede into the background layer, so I think I will try a layer of greyed paint over the top.

I then cut apart some pieces and laid them out on the background along with a few leaves. I’ll paint some lace at the same time which may be used for some birch bark texture. You may notice if you look closely that the brown fabric (I changed the original background fabric) has little birds on it. The color was right though and it will be mostly covered so hopefully not noticeable.



I’m mulling over how I can simulate some of the curled bark bits that are common on birches. I’m thinking of adding paint, some matte medium for stiffness and wrapping small pieces around a pencil for the curls. It will be an experiment which I have no idea if it will work!

I’ll be at retreat tomorrow, Saturday and until Sunday after lunch. This piece will be on my mind. I’ve packed some more mundane stitching projects, the Halloween wall hanging, some Christmas fabrics for a pillowcase and maybe the start of an advent calendar for Ollie.

Have a great weekend!

No comments: