Thursday, June 25, 2015

Swoon

I just have the hardest time to stay focused! I want to garden, I want to work on my fiber art, and then there's sketching. On top of that I've been taken with the Swoon blocks that have been allover the internet recently. I have some fabrics I've been collecting that I think would make a nice quilt for my mother. At first, I was looking for something quite easy, as I usually do, but pictures on Pinterest of the Swoon block were occupying my mind and playing 'what if?'. Go look it up on Pinterest. Beware though; it may captivate you!
There are so many versions out there. Isn't this one beautiful? No wonder I must try it!

I found that I needed to draw a sample out onto the graph paper in my book. Even now I still can't decide on the arrangement of the areas of color. I've also started to cut out a few pieces and piece them to get a feel for how it's going to work. I want to get at least one block done so that I can have it in my project box ready for when I need a traditional sewing project.
This is just the center part. There is still another row to go around.

Today, it's been sprinkling off and on. Stubborn as I am, I managed to get the line of clothes dry by putting them out, bringing them in, and putting them back out again. Crazy, huh?

I love to be in my sewing room and at my machine where I can view my raised bed, the garden and the clothesline. It makes me happy.


My tulip hanging is progressing slowly. I did another hour or so on the thread painting of the tulips.


I keep my sketches and specimens handy for reference.

The heavy stitching , despite the stiff interfacing, is causing the more scantily stitched background to buckle.






I'm somewhat confident that I'll be able to stitch it out. You can really see it in the pic below.


It's a learning process, isn't it? I must have moved the tulips around dozens of times before I finally committed to the arrangement and I'm still not happy!

In my down times, I've been knitting away, finishing 2 baby blankets from my stash. I'm slowly sewing the ends in.


Of course, I can't go a day without something new on the needles. I started this Spiral Staircase shawl  using a ball of Boboli Lace yarn by Berroco that I picked up on my last day trip.






I downloaded the pattern from Ravelry but could not figure it at all. A member of my Facebook knitting group came to my aid. The pattern really isn't written right clearly, but with her clarifications, it was easy. If I find it easy, it really is!

1 comment:

Mereknits said...

I love all your projects Holly, the shawl the blanket and of course your gorgeous tulip artwork. I have not had much time this week to knit and I am feeling it, I get a bit stressed when i don't have time to play with yarn.
Hugs to you,
Meredith