Monday, June 1, 2015

Gardening and enjoying the outdoors

I know I have been quiet here for a while. The days are lengthening and warming and I've just been caught up in all the outdoor endeavors--potting and planting my seedlings, potting up flowers for the deck, sewing a new deck swing awning,


weeding, setting seeds into the raised bed and a little bike riding in between.

Since I now have to go more slowly with my bicycle, so as not to cause a flare up of arthritis, I take along my camera and watch for interesting flora along the trail.


 This sketch was done one morning with my breakfast. I collected this sample on a ride the night before and discovered in my reference book that it is called swamp honeysuckle. Every time I go, I find something new, interesting and beautiful.


This lichen is so tiny and yet stunning in its own way.


 I'm so worn out by the time I come inside that I can only collapse with my knitting. The baby afghan is growing. It is knit with all 100% cotton yarns and is so soft.


We didn't do this on purpose but I love that I can view my raised bed from my sewing studio. Almost all the seeds have sprouted.


On warm days now I can sit on my deck, admire the gardens and watch the birds.
I've potted up my pepper plants in the large pot on the south facing deck.


We have new birds in our yard! I watch swallows at my in laws at the beach all the time but have never seen them here. They are building a nest in one or maybe both of our birdhouses. I love to listen to their happy chatter as they swoop around the yard.





So, as you can see, I've not had much time for the sewing studio! I spent only a few minutes today cutting out some leaf shapes for the tulips and quickly auditioning them on the tulip hanging. I can see, though, that they will cover up too much of the pretty layered background. I will re-cut a couple of thin ones and only add 1 or 2.


I really am anxious to get back into the studio but this time of year is the busiest outside. Soon, once everything is planted or gardens weeded and mulched, there will be more time. And then, of course, there will be the rainy days.






1 comment:

Mereknits said...

It looks like you have been plenty busy Holly.
Hugs,
Meredith