Friday, February 10, 2012

ice dyeing

I had no time to sew today. This morning I did some wash and actually hung a load out. It has been a gorgeous day! I did a couple of errands, had lunch with my Friday crowd, then came home and went out for a walk on the trail. It felt like a spring day. The chickadees were out in full force and I got to feed them from my hand. Today, they sat longer than usual on my hand. It seemed s thought they were wondering about me.

I also added a subtle amount of color to the cosmos using Neocolor II water soluable crayons where I want to add some thread painting. I'll get to it this weekend as we are expecting another snowstorm later tomorrow. I guess we're having the calm before the storm.

Since my snow dyeing trial, I've been wanting to try dyeing the fabric using ice cubes.While I was out walking, I soaked ta piece of white cotton fabric in the soda ash bath . Then I wrung it out wearing rubber gloves, accordion folded it and laid it onto the grill. Next, still using gloves and wearing a dust mask while handling the dye powder, I sprinkled it onto the ice cubes which are piled atop of the folded fabric.
It will sit covered in a warm spot until tomorrow. It looks rather a mess, doesn't it?

2 comments:

elle said...

The grandson and I are studying your birdie. You are right. It looks a mess. I can't wait to see what you cook up!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That ice cube pile looks pretty yucky but I bet there is some fantastic fabric in the future.