Saturday, December 31, 2011

strip piecing and cooking on New Year's Eve

I only just got myself out of my pj's even though I've been sewing and cooking most of the day. We've got a bit of a winter storm going on outside right now, so no need to get dressed. We planned a quiet New year's at home which works out well. We'll likely watch a movie and have a special treat or two. I might leave the blinds open for a while to enjoy the last of the Christmas lights and perhaps we'll be able to see the snow falling in the glow of the lights.
I've read a few blogs today where the authors very nicely expressed their thoughts about New Year's here and here. I don't think I could express myself nearly as well and they were very much how I feel. At this point in my life (56), I don't need the stress of any lofty goals, but at the same time I don't want to just drift or flow along like a stick in a stream with no destination. I remarked on one blog that I am somewhat like a river because I pick up all sorts of bits as I flow along in life taking on new things all the time. I don't really see anything wrong with that as long as I can keep on growing as an artist and as long as I try to stick to my own vision. It means to my bloggers though that perhaps I haven't developed a truly distinctive style although I think I'm getting there. I am a mixed media kind of gal though, so I can not have goals that restrict me to one thing. I just want to keep experimenting and developing my creativity while adding to my tool box.
Which is kind of what I'm doing with the free form piecing method I'm experimenting with now. I love Rayna's work, however, I don't want my work to look like hers. So, I'm learning the methods and trying to take it in my own direction.
Last night, I thought it was a mess when I last looked at my pieces. This morning, I moved it around and pieced a few more. I was excited; it is a really fun process and no matter how hard you try , fabric bits end up everywhere! That's a little out of my comfort zone. I do a little, straighten up a bit, and then continue.
Again, now I'm at the pint where I think it's a mess again. I think it's a process where I'll have to work on something else in between to keep it fresh.
I know it looks a lot like what I've done already. I have added some bits though. Do you see any coherency at all? I need to make more strips, some quiet ones and then figure out how to fit it together.

3 comments:

elle said...

Oh, I luv pyjama days. Today could have been one but I had to go to the store. The stream analogy is a good one and I'm sure there are a lot of us working on our style, or lack of it. lol I do like the improvisational piecing you are doing and totally understand wanting your very own look. I hope you leave me some options. Happy new year, Holly. Thanks for the 'here'!

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Happy New Year Holly....I did the pj thing yesterday; have had a cold and flu since Tuesday...on the mend now. Staying in tonight also; getting too old(58)not really interested in staying out half the night...lol. I like your style; no one wants to be the same as the next person...I know I'm not. I did get a commissioned quilt in the frames today and started hand quilting on it. And I even played a little bit with the Go Baby that hubby got me for Christmas....it is just raining here so far....take care

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

I agree with the river analogy, we do keep moving, picking up bits along the way! And I think you do have your own style...I love checking out your newest creations!
Happy New Year to you, and may it be healthy, happy and productive!