Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Free motion stitching, majestic mountains and baby blocks

Last night we got about 8” of light snow blown around by winds. It’s still windy out so not a great day for walking even though the sun is out.



After moving my car out of the driveway for our plow and running an errand, I spent most of the afternoon in my studio. I free motion  stitched another section of the ferns and lace piece.









I really like the colors in this piece and I think it will look nice in my living room. I’m currently knitting this afghan in my favourite color right now.



After this, as my shoulders and upper back need a rest so I switch tasks.

I stitched 2 blocks for my next baby quilt with the turquoise outside strip that works as a sort of sashing just to see how it will work. Nice I think.



Meanwhile, I have only 5 blocks left on the majestic mountains quilt.  This is one section. It’s hard to get a good pic with the full sun shingling in today.




I thought I’d show a bit of the process. First step is to sew 2 different patterned 8 1/2”squares together on the diagonal, making half square triangles.



They get pressed open and trimmed to 8” square.

They’re put right sides together with the prints opposing and then cut into 2” strips.





I sew it together in sections.




If you want something more detailed, you will find several tutorials on line, particularly the one by Bonnie Hunter. This is a fun quilt block; one that I haven’t tired of which I often do by the end. It will be a bit picky to match all the seams as I sew the rows together. I will press opposing seams though, so it should help. The end result will be worth it, I think.

Because of my arthritis and my herniated discs in my back I need to exercise to keep moving and build strength. It must be gentle though. Today, since it was too gusty to walk, I went down to the rec room to do some rowing and my few exercises. I break the rowing into 2 - 7 minute rows and do a set of exercises after each. I do the ones I’ve circled, usually about 8 reps. I started with only about 5minutes of rowing and one set of 5 reps of each exercise and have slowly built up which is important with any health issues.



I’m scheduled for another spinal injection in a few weeks. I’ve had one which was very successful enabling me to walk, snowshoe and exercise as I am now. 
We’re supposed to go and babysit our 3 yr old grandson, Ollie at the end of March when my daughter goes for a c section to have her second little boy so I want to be in shape!

No comments: