Sunday, November 1, 2020

Fall days and fall in fiber

It’s November 1st, Halloween is over and there’s a definite crispness in the air as well a a noticeable  shortening of the day. It seems to start cooling and darkening after 3pm. It was a very quiet Halloween here; we had maybe 20 kids. I noticed a lot more elaborate decorations though on my outings and I believe families were a lot more creative with their celebrations creating new and different memories. Not a bad thing.

Our grandsons in PEI had fun dressing up and visiting family over there and Ollie was so excited to wear his costume to daycare Friday.




Gussie donned his for a baby get together that my daughter participates in regularly. He’s wearing the skeleton costume and snuggling up to the unicorn.
I thought it would make you smile. All those babies.



A little peak at my minimal costume - a fascinator.


I couldn’t decide between peanut butter, oatmeal, or chocolate chip so I made peanut butter, oatmeal, chocolate chip cookies. Usually, I’ll fake a tray and freeze the rest.





After lunch, we took a short drive out Little River road where the farmer that we got our weekly veggies from has his greenhouses. They have cleared everything out for winter and had some end of season small veggies left to sell.



I really love the little yellow beets and tiny turnips. Bedsides this, we got salad greens, spinach, tomatoes, and garlic. We have a small cold room and can keep them for most of the winter.
Pictured below, turnips (white), tiny yellow beets and carrots beside leftover turkey casserole. I want to oven roasted them next time.



On our way, I picked up my Majestic Mountains quilt which the machine quilter had finished. I think I like the swirls although not sure at first. These mountains are meant to depict winter mountains when the trees are bare, the mountains may be covered in snow and the sunsets are soft and sometimes cast soft peaches and pinks over the tree tops. It reminds me of our times spent staying in chalets at the mountains where we used to downhill ski. Once I get the binding on, it will stay on my bed for winter.





I got the binding put on the houses this morning so it’s ready for hand stitching. I’ll be sending it off this month to a new baby.



I have to remember to try to take my pictures earlier in the day now that the light fades mid afternoon.

W on our way home we went out for a short trail walk and I took my walker again. The hip injection helped but not as well as I’d hoped. I’m going Tuesday for 2 spinal injections so we’ll see how that does. While walking G and I were discussing what we could do once the snow comes as I may not be able to snowshoe. We haven’t any good ideas yet. I suggested maybe he could pull me on a sled, lol.



The brilliant leaf colours of October have faded to soft greys and the holds of the tamaracks.  It’s pretty in a quieter way. Not so jaw dropping but peaceful in a way.



I made a cup of tea after we got back and sat in my studio to work a bit on the fall scene.



I thought I was ready for the sewing machine again but a second look and the screen picture made me think of making a change to the foliage.  I’m going to set up the hoop for more thread lace. I’d like some that is paler and lacier. They are after all in the distant background and there will be larger trees over top in the foreground.  I’ll get the hoop with the tulle and stabilizer ready and likely will get to it in the morning.



The good thing is, I enjoy the whole process and I feel that I have a good sense of how I want it to go.

Last night, I finished the length of the Christmas stocking and the toe.
Then I had to pull out the waste yarn at the heel and pick up the stitches for the afterthought heel.



I found it a bit tricky to see all the stitches to pick up on the blue/purple side and  I don’t think I’d like to use the method on fine knit socks.

I hope you’ve enjoyed your weekend in small simple ways. We have to learn to do that don’t we?

No comments: