Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Free motion quilting Gelli prints, screen prints in the sketchbook

Some exciting news! Yesterday, I received notice that my last fiber art piece with the birch tree, Autumn Lilies, was accepted into the juried show at Quilt Canada in June, in Edmonton.




We have a snow day in our region today, while further south in the province they’re getting rain and freezing rain. Schools are closed. It’s a good time to stay inside and be creative. I don’t know about you but I’ve had to cut back on listening to the news. I find myself getting anxious over this virus and the stock market crashes. It means  listening less to CBC talk radio, so I miss the news times.

So, here I am today with the classical Music channel on my tv, trying to relax into some creativity.




I sandwiched this piece and free motion quilted one quadrant.



After some thought I decided to do feathers in the sashing areas.



Around lunch time, I got out my sketchbooks and did a little collage and screen printing on a couple of pages. This one I started before. Today I collaged the burgundy part on the left and added a thin layer of gesso. I plan to sketch on top so we’ll see about another coat of gesso when it dries.



On the second one, I collaged on a few strips of torn tisssue paper horizontally, and once it was dry, added a screen  print in white acrylic. I love the white on white texture.




Here it is with a light watercolour wash of blue over the top. I have in mind to sketch feathers on it.







This week I finally got a new coffee table. My old one was from my mom and was one of those ugly orange solid wood ones. I painted it lime green which I loved but it was too long for my space and it always looked messy without a shelf underneath to organize a few books.

You may also notice the pendant light in the right hand corner. It originally hung in a church and was purchased from an antique store and rewired  by my husband. The gold framed mirror next to it is from my husband’s aunt who lived to 101. I like a mix of old and new with some quirkiness, colour and evidence of creativity thrown in.

 I like 

To add some color, I pulled out a mandala doily that I crocheted a few years ago.



Finally, on my design wall I’ve put up a few Gelli prints just to give me something to think about.





No comments: