Friday, September 8, 2017

Gardening and gathering

Transitioning from summer to fall is a bittersweet time. Im letting go of hot days (which I don't miss) and swimming in the bay and moving into slightly cooler days with more walking and hiking.
Since that 4 hour hike last weekend--I still can't believe I did it-- I purchased a small backpack with a water bladder and a new set of poles. I've got the hiking bug! It's also the time to move into the garden to gather the ends of vegetables, to pull out those that are done and to do some trimming.
Some fall blooms are truly showy, like the pink tinged hydrangea that actually need the cool nights to turn them pink.
All of the beautiful seed pods remind me that while many plants are  turning color (the spectacular part of a maritime fall) and many are shriveling and dying, that these wonderful little cases that are left behind are quite beautiful in their archetecture and importantly, they carry the seeds for next years plants. They represent hope and the eternal cycling of the seasons. After spending a couple of hours outside, pulling, picking, and pruning, it was time to come inside for a break. I made a tea and sat at the table with a few sprigs.
I got out a sketchbook and paints.
Lately, I've noticed that my hand is a little shaky but I still enjoy a detailed study sometimes.
Tomorrow there is rain in the forecast so I expect to be spending the afternoon in my sewing studio. 

2 comments:

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh that's no good -the shaky hand! I love the collection you have there for your sketching, I'm another who doesn't miss Summer - at least not the heat and humidity, not to mention the mosquitoes.
Good for you getting out for your hikes, I used to take long walks almost daily, not quite that long though.

Barbara Wise said...

Enjoy reading your walking travels and musings. You live in an area of natural abundance. Thanks for sharing your sketches.