Monday, April 6, 2015

My daughter's cushion covers; more on the wave

Well, my daughter, Caley did manage to finish her cushion covers for her apartment before she left yesterday afternoon. I put them on my cushions for the picture.


I quite like her choice of fabrics from my stash. Even though she hasn't sewn in about 8 years or so, and then just the basics, she did the whole thing with my guidance. She quilted in the ditch vertically and horizontally. The back has a Velcro closing.

After a snowshoe trek on the fresh snow with my friend this morning, I had a short rest (with a shut eye), and then I went into my studio to do a little more on The Wave. This is based on a photo that my son recently sent me of himself winter surfing.

I'm working at my ironing board, using a tracing paper overlay, drawing and cutting fusible backed fabrics as I go. I've got the tracing paper taped to the top of the interfacing backing, so I can flip it down to draw the pieces and then lay them into place with tweezers.


I keep referring to the picture on my I Pad for color reference, going back to my tracing paper pattern to cut shapes.


I have already stitched the background trees with the snow and netting on top. The netting greys the fabric a bit as I didn't have quite the right color. The turquoise color will also be greyed with either netting or stitching.


Yes, no surfboard yet. I'm still working on getting all the basic shapes laid down. This is a small piece, maybe about 9 by 11".

I hope you're creatively enjoying your day.


2 comments:

Threadpainter said...

The Wave is looking fabulous, Holly !

Mereknits said...

Love the cushions your daughter made. Your new piece is wonderful Holly.
Hugs,
Meredith