Monday, April 28, 2014

Taking care of myself

As some of you may know if you read my blog once in a while, I've been dealing with some health issues and as result, my creative art endeavours have dropped off.
I haven't been blogging because, I've not been doing much that it is picture worthy or inspiring. I've decided to write a bit about what I've been going through but don't want to dwell on it too much.
In fact the neuropathic pain I've been having combined with the side effects from the medications has caused me some depression. It's understandable as my life has drastically changed. I don't have the inspiration to create right now. I think I am doing all the right things to look after myself, taking time to relax, read, exercise, meditate and eat healthy meals each day. Some days it becomes overwhelming but I'm trying to practice patience and kindness to myself hoping 'this too shall pass'.
We had a beautiful sunny day on Saturday, the first one in ages. I sat out on my deck barely moving a muscle for 2 1/2 hours. I read a bit, but also spent a lot of time lost in the warmth of the sun and the songs go the birds. It really felt good.
Yesterday and today, were back to rain so I'm concentrating on inside comforts. I'm sharing a recipe for banana chocolate chip muffins that I made this morning.

I used 3 bananas and altered the recipe slightly adding 1/4 cup of yogurt, a handful of coconut, and some chocolate chip muffins.
My daughter had the bright idea to add a dollop of Nutella to two of them as an experiment.
A bit of an indulgence, but Oh my, yum! You must try them!
Another thing I'm doing as a bit of a distraction is a little baby sweater. They do say knitting can be meditative.

I bought the Baby Tea Leaves cardigan from Ravelry. I don't have a specific baby in mind but I do enjoy knitting small sweaters and it's nice to have one or two on hand just in case.
I just thought I might add that I've been and will be seeing doctors and I surely don't recommend my methods to deal with incessant pain and depression to anyone. This is just the road I'm taking.
I'll pop in once in a while when I do have something creative to write about. The muse visits me occasionally; I'll try to store it up for better times.

6 comments:

Vicki W said...

I'm sorry to hear about what you are going through but it sounds like you are doing all the right things. Sometimes we just need to be focused on ourselves and that's OK.

Jennifer Scantlebury Vienneau said...

So sorry for all your health issues, Holly. I hope you take great strides with your recovery.

barbara woods said...

do take care of yourself, we need you

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

It sounds like you are doing the right things for relaxation. Patience is needed for sure. If there was only a guarantee at the end of the tunnel it would make it all easier.

beth said...

health issues are hard. hoping you have some good days soon! I love that sweater your knitting. Thanks for the link. I need another knitting project! ;)

Juanita said...

Having had a few chronic health issues in the last couple of years I have experienced that feeling that it will never improve. So far a combination of excellent physio, massage and exercise have helped my return to pain free functioning. I think you are making wise choices and I hope your chosen path works for you.