Thursday, October 4, 2012

painting on fabric and machine quilting

I need to finish up a couple of pieces I've been working, on but yesterday while I was doing laps at the pool, I had this idea floating around in my head. that I just had to try  this afternoon before I could sit down to sew.
I've still got more shibori painted trees in my mind. This time I wondered about painting a background first instead of using a commercial print like I used in the birches piece. I'm showing you this as I work through it and have no idea if it will work or not! It's an experiment.
I used Setacolor transparent paints, spritzed the white Kona cotton and applied them in a watered down solution that I mixed on a recycled Styrofoam meat tray.  Using a soft watercolor brush I loosely dabbled it on. Here is what it looks like wet:
I left it to dry and moved on to the sewing machine where I finished the bit of free motion quilting on the grey and mauve piece. I've decided to make it into a pillow with a linen backing.
Here is a bit of detail of the quilting on the back. Not perfect but it'll be OK. Who'll be examining it it when they're sitting against it, eh? Well maybe a quilter.
I hope you're having a creative Thursday!

3 comments:

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Your quilting looks fantastic Holly!! And I love the dy job....

elle said...

You are always thinking. This could be quite lovely. Heck, the back looks good!

Gill said...

Wow Holly your FMQ is fabulous! is this on an ordinary domestic sewing machine??
I'm looking forward to seeing tour next step with your painted fabric - it's looking good already!