Thursday, February 23, 2012

thread dreaming

I'm having a low energy day today so I'm not doing too much other than a few groceries this morning. It is a good time to do a little dreaming about what I might do with my ice dyed fabric. I have decided to leave it all in one piece and do thread work on it keeping it very abstract although I do have a theme in mind. It is just big enough that I think it will be better to hand baste it to the batting and backing. The camera is just not picking up the actual rich colors in the piece. I'm missing threads in the mossy green color.

While reading the blog, Marveles Art Studios, I've been learning and inspired with her beautifully textured thread play. Leslie recommended Superior Threads where there are all kinds of thread and needle information with reference guides that you can print off. Currently, I am filling my shopping bag with some of their 'deal of the day' threads, as I cannot access much thread where I live.
I took my little scissors and cut my robin friend out. I'm thinking of putting him here, on a branch of course. It's such a wonderful textured background; I see adding free motion and maybe some bobbin work snowflakes.There are a few little spots where I want to touch up the painted robin too. Can you see snow in that background?

The robin finally got the last apple off the tree yesterday and made little trails all over the yard while pecking at it.

4 comments:

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

I can't believe you have a robin..I haven't seen one since fall...

MarveLes Art Studios said...

I'm excited for you with this fabric! Your thread colors look great; love the sneak peek! Look forward to seeing your darling little birds... and hopefully some 'for real' in our own backyard, chirping away! Happy Friday!

Mary Ann Tate said...

Hello I'm visiting from Needle & Thread:) I have been reading up lately on ice dyed fabric. What a interesting process and the results are really unique.

elle said...

I can see snow! Lovely. I have also got an order pending for some thread. I got some cords and ribbons that MarveLes recommended. Yummy stuff!