Wednesday, December 31, 2014

I have a colorful clothesline today but the reason is not so pretty.

Yesterday, I set a pot to boil --on high-- with water and dried prunes at 9 AM in the morning, left the house all day, picked up my husband at 4:30 and went for groceries. It stuck me in the baking aisle what I had done. I went hot allover and felt sick. We live only about 5 minutes from the store, so my husband ran home and found the stove-top and the wall searing hot and the pot completely charred. The smell was terrible. He put all the fans on and came back for me.
I was feeling pretty shaky at this point and he kindly pointed out that I should look at it as a lucky event. Can you believe that the  pot was on high all day and it didn't catch fire? We really were so very lucky. He said that the lid was sealed to the pot, maybe what saved it.
Today, we've been washing blankets and curtains. Tomorrow walls. Already, a contractor came to check it out. We may need an air cleaner which is expensive, rented by the day.
The air is bothering me some since I have asthma. I can't smell anything because I have no smell. Definitely a disability since I came in the front door at 4:00pm, dropped off some things and left without noticing a thing.

We're going to try cleaning and painting and go from there.

In the meantime I've a lovely gold finch pic to share.

Doing any artwork today was out of the question. Besides the time factor, I was  too shaky, so I resorted to a bit of cutting for some cushion covers I want to make for the living room. Coincidentally a good time  to replace the old ones!
The fabric is from the 10 inch square Fingerprint collection that I recently purchased from the UK.

www.fingerprintfabric.com

Here's hoping that the New Year brings some good things for us and all of you my readers.

Happy New Year!



7 comments:

Mereknits said...

Oh no Holly it could have been so much worse. I did that with a kettle of tea once, I had a neighbor go and turn it off, I was miles and miles away at a swim meet. I was so shaken up that I would leave it on the stove like that. I burned the kettle dry, actually it melted a bit but everything else was safe. We all do this, I think we have to much on our minds.
Sending you a hug,
Meredith

Eileen said...

Oh my gosh. I am thankful it wasn't worse. Hopefully the fan will clean the air quickly.

Jennifer Scantlebury Vienneau said...

What a dramatic ending to 2014, Holly! Fortunately you didn’t severely damage or lose your house, no one was injured and your husband sounds incredibly level headed and understanding. (Mine is too, but I hear some aren’t.) I hope your air is healthier soon; I completely understand how that can adversely affect you. All the best in 2015!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I was boiling water in a pan years ago and forgot, went shopping and on the way home thought of it. Luckily the pan was able to withstand the heat without being destroyed. It had been on the burner for about 2 hours. We all have too much on our minds and get distracted too easily. I'm glad your home is still there and that your husband is understanding and helpful. Best of luck in getting the smell out and the house redecorated.

Mary said...

That is such an easy thing to do. I agree with Wanda. All of us have too much on our minds this time of year. I am so glad the situation wasn't worse.

driftwood said...

oh no. so thankful nothing caught fire x

elle said...

I stopped to wish you a happy new year, Holly and my! But happily things turned out as well as they did. :)