Sunday, January 26, 2014

Stitching the fish shacks

We had a fresh light snowfall last night of about 8 inches, so after our usual leisurely Sunday morning breakfast and crossword, I got dressed to go outside. While Gord was finishing up some painting, I plowed off the steps and walks and cleaned the the car. He went out with the snow blower after lunch to finish up.
This afternoon we were both too tuckered out to go snowshoeing. That meant I could go into my sewing studio and do some thread painting on the fish shack piece. This continues to be a learning experience for me. I backed it with stiff interfacing but still I was getting some puckering in the fabric which always bothers me.
I did most of the stitching and decided to wet it and block it out with pins. On the next piece I'm going to try doubling the interfacing.

My camera battery light came on. I switched to the I Pad taking pictures in different rooms trying to get the lighting right. The color shows a little darker than it actually is but still I think the photo helps to show me that I could add some lighter shades here and there.

I haven't done the two figures yet, nor have I sandwiched it. Perhaps an option next time might be to add the batting from the start.
It's a learning process.
And the 2nd one that I sketched on fabric the other day that I thought was a loss was saved. It had a seemingly stubborn pleat going through it. I wet it thoroughly, wrung it out and ironed it. I got it out. You can just make out the light pencil marks of the sketch which is taped to foam core board ready for painting.

I hope you're having a creative and relaxing Sunday!

4 comments:

Jeito Mineiro de Ser said...

O franzido incomoda mesmo! Eu tenho contornado isto colocando uma camada de manta para quilting, uma tela por cima e depois o tecido. Meu trabalho náo tem franzido...
Estou acompanhando este seu trabalho com curiosidade... é um tema muito diferente para mim.
Um abraço!
The frown even bother! I have worked around this by placing a layer of cloth for quilting, a screen on top and then the fabric. My work does not frown ...
I am following your work with this curiosity ... is a very different topic for me.
Hugs!
Egléa

What Comes Next? said...

just back from a lovely walk in the sunshine - your piece is looking good! When I was doing some machine embroidery, I got some stuff called batilizer (sorry, not sure of the spelling or actual brand) a combination of batting and stabilizer, and it works well for me

beth said...

wow! this looks amazing!

MarveLes Art Studios said...

your shacks are looking very charming! i love the feeling in the way you've drawn them out, too.