Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Finally some stitching

Well, we've had a great couple of weeks while my husband was off. Lots of sun and heat. Today he went back to work. It isn't too hot, so I was happy to get something done.

I ironed some fusible to three scraps of fabric for some foreground leaves. Then, for texture, I took some watered down paint and splattered it on using a toothbrush. As you can see I cut each leaf out individually. I had to pick each paper backing off with tweezers before I could iron them on. The things we do for art!

I stitched all the leaves down, added a line of fiber with gold flecks in it and stitched more of the red bushes. The picture above just shows a section of the piece.
It's coming closer to being finished. I've chosen a couple of binding options, and I'm just trying to decide if I should add a small highlight with red maple leafs.

I'm thinking of using one of these for the binding. I have a couple other black and whites I'll audition as well.
Finally, I feel like I'm getting somewhere. It's nice to be off. But good to be back at my routine.

15 comments:

imquilternity said...

It is such a beautiful piece of work/art!

Margaret Applin said...

Holly this is GORGEOUS!!!!!

elle said...

yes, gorgeous!

Sue W. said...

looking great - I like the bottom border

Anonymous said...

This is so lovely! I would add some red maple leaves, since red is my favourite colour and I put it in everything, but it is great just the way it is too.

kaiteM said...

You're making good headway there, it looks lovely.

Linda said...

It's awesome! I love it. I like the fabric on the bottom that you are thinking about for binding.

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Looks fantastic Holly!!

Cathy Tomm said...

It is looking good.

In stitches and seams said...

lovin' it .... great job sew far!!

rtquilter said...

Very pretty , Holly!

Susan J Barker said...

love how this is progressing. Here's a tip for next time. When you need to peel off the backing paper from smaller bits, run the dull side of your scissors across the paper (sometimes more than once) this loosens the paper and it makes it easier to peel. This works best if done on your ironing surface as the "give" stretches the fabric so that the paper pulls up...

What Comes Next? said...

this is gorgeous! Great job, there is such depth to the image.

Jeanette said...

Wow, this is gorgeous! You'll have it done in time for Autumn.

monika@mysweetprairie.ca said...

I'm glad you keep adding to it. GOsh- it's just better and better!! : )

~Monika