Yesterday i took a picture of my first Iris to open up. They are so delicate looking.
While I was doing my laps this morning at the pool, I was envisioning how I would finish up my two hummingbird pieces. I was looking forward to trying out my new Wonderfil thread for some curly vines, but that turned out to be a bit of a trial. The thread kept shredding and breaking, so when I sit down later, I must do some more research on needles. I actually tried a metafil, a titanium and a jeans needle which is what worked. By the end, I was pretty frustrated.
I've picked out the borders which I will add in the quilt as you go method. You can see a bit of them laid out below.
Next I added some iridescent paint highlights and darkened up the wings
with Inktense watercolor pencils. They're looking better I think.
I'm trying to make up my mind about quilting the background space around the birds. The Timtex gives such nice texture that I'm thinking it might be better to leave it blank so that the birds and flowers are even more showy. I'll have to think on it.
I'm linking to the Needle and Thread Network for WIP Wednesday. go check out all the fun works in progress..