Sunday, July 14, 2019

A muggy Sunday with thunderstorms, doing some stitching and sketching

It’s been mostly an inside day today, starting with a leisurely breakfast and a little sketching. I brought home a few more sprigs of wild beach peas yesterday to use as an artistic reference. As a bonus, I pressed the last bunch in an old phone book for future use in mono printing.

I did another pencil sketch at mid day. As I become interested in a particular plant, I like to do detail sketches, slowly becoming more familiar with the shapes and colours. It may or may not become fodder for a textile work, if not now in winter when I need a lift. I plan to do some foam stamps and maybe some printing.

Hubby went off to the golf course around 7:00 (crazy) and came home soaked after 9 holes, when he joined me for breakfast.

Besides raining off and on, it’s very warm and muggy outside, not my kind of day. When there was a little sunshine breakthrough before the rain returned with thunder this time we took advantage and did a short bike ride around the nearby subdivision. 

I’ve been taking it easy, low gears and no hills hoping to build a little muscle without bothering the knee and at least keeping things moving a bit. Walking is a little difficult right now but may improve once I’ve had the spinal injection.

The yard has filled out, especially with the rain and warmth this week.

I’ve not been able to get all the weeding and mulching done but hubby has said he’d help this week during his week off. When we work together this back garden might take an hour; by myself I’d be at it for days.

The two windows on the right above are in my studio.

I’ve been in the studio today, getting the front and back of the bag finished, I thought, and backed with the Soft and Stable. But look what I did, lol.

I put the top and bottom strips on the wrong ends of one section of the bag and shall have to unpick. As if my progress isn’t slow enough!

Like most studios, there are projects that have been sitting aside for too long. Sometimes, one gets to a point on a piece where it’s not appealing and not making one happy. Just so with this piece. I have a hard time to completely abandon something unless I’ve given it my best. There are times when you have to push forward and see where it goes. It may work or not. While I still had the black thread on my machine, I decided to work on the dark areas with lots of stitch to see how it goes.

I see progress but still not sure. I left stitching the foliage on top because it’s the rock that was giving me pause.

I will go a little further I think and we’ll see.

This is my second small baby afghan that I’ve done as a tv watching project. I’ve got sweaters to work on for my grandson; however, it’s ‘no brainer’ knitting I like to do at night.

It’s soon time for me to move and get a quick supper started. I’m using leftover salmon and adding a white sauce to serve over rice. 

No comments: