Saturday, July 11, 2015

To market, to market, swooning

This morning, I went with two friends to two markets, a fabric shop and then for lunch. It is sunny and warm-- too warm for me to be out in the garden, and hubby has gone golfing. I picked up biscuits, homemade beans, an apple pie, a small pottery bowl (which I'm now eating fruit out of) and fabric that I'm hoping my sister will like for her Cafe.

A few blog posts back I showed my little sketch of wildflowers from the trail that I couldn't identify. Well, late last night - midnight actually-- I was finishing another sketch when I flipped again through the reference book. A commenter had written that it reminded her of Lily of the Valley which is true and I looked in that area and found it!

It's called Shinleaf because the leaves were often applied to bruises and cuts and most often on the legs or shins. It contains something similar to the drug aspirin. Interesting.

I did my latest sketch at the in laws place on the beach last night. It was so hot and humid here that my husband arrived home early from work, I made a quick chicken, cashew, pasta and strawberry salad with homemade dressing and we headed out.

At the beach it was slightly breezy, a bit cool and too rough for the kayaks, exhilarating though. There's always something to do.

I did ithis quickly out on the deck and finished it late last night when I couldn't sleep.

Last week, although we lost our swallow family thanks to a raccoon, I could not resist saving a few of the feathers from the clean up. They are so delicate and pretty. I'm sure they'll make it into my sketchbook one day even though I don't like to think of those little babies.

After making sure the garden was ok in the hot sun and repotting one tomato plant, I retreated to my cool sewing room where I finally finished my Swoon block!
 

 

 

 

No comments: