Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Watercolor pencil sketching, October/November Quilting Arts

A kind friend picked me up this morning to go for coffee at another friend's new cottage. It is such a lovely cottage, built in the 1930's. It has been modernized and bits of beachy colors added here and there, but it still retains the warmth and feel of a beach house. High ceilings painted aqua, open rafters, pine walls. a real fireplace! Lovely.
Another friend from our quilting group drove me home after we had a bowl of homemade vegetable soup at her home. When you need to feel better, the warmth and caring of good friends envelops you.
I felt at peace when I came home, and rather than head to my sewing room, I sat at my kitchen table and finished a leaf sketch that I had started at breakfast.
The world outside is covered with golden, orange and red. the leaves are falling and covering the back yard. These two drifted onto my deck, begging to be studied.
I made zucchini muffins, some chai tea and sat down for more sketching.
Last year around this time I did a piece of fiber art featuring Indian Island here in Bathurst. You can see it in my header next to my picture. I'd like to do again with more of the fall coloring in it. I've sketched a possible view.
I like the golden colors and the grasses that were growing on the shore in front of me.
The beautiful thread stitched pumpkins on the cover of the most recent, October/November Quilting Arts reflects the colors and fell of the season. I feel so excited and honored to be in the company of such artists. My article is on page 82.

 http://www.interweavestore.com/quilting-arts-magazine-oct-nov-2014-grouped




9 comments:

Mystic Quilter said...

Why is it that when it's nearing time for a mid morning culpa I read the posts on my computer and more often than not there you are with shots of your delicious muffins!!
I received my Quilting Arts yesterday and enjoyed yours article very much indeed - congratulations on being published once again.

Margaret Applin said...

Holly! I saw your fabulous article and art quilt in the newest issue of Quilting Arts. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Fantastic job!!!!
Margaret

Wendy said...

Love your morning sketch. It almost looks like you could pick that bottom leaf up off the page!
Well done on the magazine article!

Gill said...

Congratulations Holly!
I look forward to getting my copy of Quilting Arts!

Angela said...

Congrats on having a published article!

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

always a pleasure Holly

Mereknits said...

I am so impressed and happy for you! Glad you had a wonderful outing with friends.
Hugs,
Meredith

sherry said...

i will have to go and find that issue to read…i love your little sketches…the cottage sounds just like somewhere i would love to spend the day

shivani shastri said...

The sketches are really amazing and lifelike, especially the leaf one. I really liked the way the article is written, simple and with a personalized touch. Truly a very inspirational article, thank you!