Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Mustard pickles, hydrangeas, strip piecing

The title of my post sounds a little strange. For those who follow the produce and flora of the season, it probably makes perfect sense.
After a chopping session last night in order for the cucumbers, celery, cauliflower and onions to soak in a brine while I slept, this morning, I got my bottles ready and cooked up a batch of my mother's mustard pickle recipe.
Thanks to my mother in law, Joyce for her help!
I've been waiting for a sunny day when I had time to pick some hydrangea to dry and today was the day.
For now they're on my deck because I spied a few ants which I'm hoping will vacate.
I dry a bunch in a vase every year to enjoy throughout the fall until December. I like to tuck them throughout the branches of my tabletop Christmas tree. It fills in empty spaces and adds such soft snowy prettiness. After that I dispose of them and wait until next September to pick some more.
Then, I had just a sliver of time to spend in my sewing studio, adding a few more curved strips to my beach themed piece.
The top piece is as yet uncut and un-sewn while I think about what I'll add next.I do way more thinking and piddling about than actually sewing! As I mentioned in my last post, this is something a bit different for me. I have an idea where I want to go: I'm feeling my way there. Whether I get there or not, the journey is fun.
I'm connecting to The Needle and Thread Network.



5 comments:

Mystic Quilter said...

These hydrangeas are such a delicate colour, I have seen the whites before (I have a few) but they quickly brown or redden in the sun. I notice that the petals on yours seem to be smaller and very delicate, in fact the whole vase looks to be full of a beautiful frothy cloud.

Chris said...

I also seem to do more thinking and piddling than sewing some days. Your pickles look yummy.

Mereknits said...

I love hydrangeas, we cannot grow them here so I have to settle for a few I can find to put in a vase every now and again.
Hugs to you,
Meredith

beth said...

Love your idea for drying hydrangea! Think I'll be doing that too.;)

Watercolour and Textile Artist, Eileen Gidman said...

Did you notice your hydrangeas and your curved strip piecing contain the same colours? Beautiful close to neutral shades.