Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Borders on the seashell, sketching the nest

It's a little warmer and muggier today than yesterday. I've finally closed the windows and turned the air conditioning on for a bit.
Having met friends for coffee this morning, followed by a walk with a friend (thanks Sue!), I only ventured into my sewing studio near 2PM. Following my lunch, while sipping my tea, I did a sketch of the nest that I found. This sketching time is becoming a habit!

I stayed a little over an hour in the studio. I was beginning to sweat and flagging in energy, and so I called it done for today.
I've managed a few more curved borders around the shell using curved piecing and my favourite tool, a stiletto gifted to me by my aunt. Thanks, Sandy, I use it every day!

I'm going to need one fabric for the final border and I'm not sure if I have anything in my stash. I try not too have to big a stash, however, this certainly provides the rational for a bigger one, doesn't it?

That's it for today. I used the I Pad for the photo in less than ideal light; I don't have the energy that I had yesterday. It's a more complicated process to use the camera, pose the photo, upload it, edit it; you see why I sometimes take the easy way out?
I'm linking to The Needle and Thread Network.

6 comments:

Sarah Vanderburgh said...

Beautiful, inspiring! Love the fabrics you have used so far around the sea shell. I am just starting to slowly collect batiks - your post makes me want to hurry up:)

Susan J Barker said...

About those ipad photos -- I think their resolution are getting to be quite as good as most cameras. Technology is here, so may as well make use of it! Love your little nest drawing...

Jennifer Scantlebury Vienneau said...

Your piece is coming together very nicely, Holly! I love the curved borders you have chosen!

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

got some nice work going on there Holly

SuzanneG in NC said...

Hi Holly,
I am a new follower (from TN&TN) because I enjoy your art. I too am in my 50s and live with chronic illness. Art and gardening are my therapy. I can enjoy myself for quite awhile with less pain when in my studio world.
I love the background print your recent shell piece is on - the bubbles are awesome! The shell is beautiful; I collect shells on an annual beach trip and sketch them often. Have you read "Gift from the Sea". By Anne Morrow Lindbergh? It's my favorite and has lovely shell sketches and essays, all relating a woman's life stages and seashells.
See you on your blog and take care,
Suzanne G in NC

Lorette said...

This is beautiful Holly! Love the curved border... and your stash finds look lovely!