Thursday, January 16, 2014

Finished piecing the runner, a quilt block and some painting

Right now I'm feeling pretty satisfied with myself and my day! As always, I had a slow start this morning, but once I got moving, I've been on a roll!
I got some wash done. I needed the sashing fabric washed and ironed so I could get it ready to take to my UFO day Saturday. I plan to do some cutting for my next quilt. First, though, I needed to do a sample of the Garden Fence block to make sure the dimensions suited. I went with a 5 1/2" center which resulted in a 11 1/2" block.

I just hope I'll be able to see myself through enough blocks for a queen size quilt. It will be my project for retreats and UFO days for the next year. At least I'll have some good company to relieve the tedium! Art quilting is my true love and it is what I spend my time at most days. It's too hard to pack up everything one might need for a retreat so a traditional quilt is a perfect tote along.
By lunch time I had also managed to finish piecing the top of my fern runner and then trimmed it. The green in the 2nd last border is not as dark as it shows here.
Since tomorrow I'll be out most if the day, I'll have to wait for maybe Sunday to get it sandwiched and ready for the free motion quilting. That's the fun part for me!

After lunch I felt that I needed a little fresh air. It's pretty messy for walking with all the water and ice on our streets so I took the ice chopper and broke up a little of the ice on our driveway.
Then I took a half hour to coat a piece of heavy canvas with a base layer of color. The next layer will include more color, some printing, screen printing and maybe some doodling. This may end up being torn into bits to be used for smaller projects.

I've taken all my photos today with the I Pad, not wanting to stop my momentum with my projects.
I'll pull out the camera when I get further along in the runner and the painting.
The rest of my day will be a little quieter and may involve some knitting.

2 comments:

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

You've been really busy Holly!! Reminds me that I have to quilt my Garden Fence....I love your colors. The runner is so nice too

imquilternity said...

Unfortunately, I'm not seeing your photos. I've tried re-loading the page, but they still don't show up. I'm curious about what I'm missing! :) Sounds like you had a great day and you did get a lot done. I'm envious! Hope all is well with you these days.