Monday, November 11, 2013

Quiet weekend of remembrance

My son and fiance were home for the weekend which has been lovely. We all talked via Skype with my daughter this morning who is in Korea . I have spent the day at home quietly giving thanks for my children and for all the sacrifices that were made for our countries.
I've not spent a lot of time in my sewing studio. Last night and this afternoon I've been working on finishing up the final details in my garden piece. I'm sure some of you are getting tired of seeing it. I had a few little details that I was stuck on but resolved while out walking the trails yesterday. I hadn't liked the section with the moon and decided to pick out the stitching that was there and add Angelina fiber with some lace for the moon shape. Can you see that I used a lace with embroidered flowers on it? I like that little detail. I also added hand stitching with some beads in a curving line across the middle.

I'm happier with it now. While I was at it, I added some Angelina fiber to the small round shapes below and a few beads to the pink plant.

I've finished all of the quilting, adding a darker thread around the free motion flowers pictured below. I had used a paler pink thread and they didn't seem very well defined.
All that remains now is a small bit of final beading in one spot and then I will add the backing and binding.
I promise to make the finished piece my final photo!
It's a rather dark and rainy day today, with a few snowflakes here and there. I'm going to go sit with my beading now. I'll have to search for some good lighting.

2 comments:

Jennifer Scantlebury Vienneau said...

Lovely, Holly! I really like the changes you made to your moon.

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Your projects is wonderful...the moon is a nice change. Was quiet here today too; went to the Remembrance Service this morning. Merrill lays a cross in memory of his father. I lay one for the community group here every year.