Thursday, November 21, 2013

Birches

Last night, I pulled out this shibori print that I did to go along with my Quilting Arts article April/May 2013. I added a few branches and some dark grey paint here and there. Then I fused on the 3 trees. I also added some shading with paint.

It's sandwiched and ready to stitch.
I just got back from my trip to try out Janomes sewing machines. There wasn't a lot to chose from really. Nothing between $500 and $2000. The cheaper one cannot handle all that I would like it too. The more expensive one did but is a little over my budget and for that price it didn't have everything I wanted, like for example, the integrated dual feed that the Pfaffs have.
I'm taking a Pfaff workshop next week where I'll get to try out some other models. I'm coming to realize it's not so simple to buy a machine when you're a fiber artist looking for versatility.

5 comments:

Mystic Quilter said...

Love these trees Holly, they look the silver birches in our garden.
I don't normally "do" greys but this is great.

Robbie said...

Very nice piece!!! Very nice....

Jennifer Scantlebury Vienneau said...

Holly - I own two Phaffs and really like both. Over the years I have sewn on four different styles of Singers, a Bernina (my favorite! - it was my Mom’s and is now my daughter’s), and a White/Elna. I bought a Phaff Tiptronic when my kids were little - it took me three years to pay the 1800.00 - but I still sew on it twenty plus years later and have only had to have it serviced once. I quilted all my earliest pieces and completed all my home sewing on it (including five years of costume making for more than 15 Drama productions). My more recent Phaff purchase was a GrandQuilter and it is also worth every penny I paid. When I was looking for my perfect machine I had certain features I wanted. I had to give up a couple due to price constraints (Bernina was top of my list). I “test rode” a number of machines including Husqvarna and it was only when I brought home a Phaff that my husband was impressed - he says it looks solid, runs quietly and I never ask him how to repair it. My girlfriend loves her Husqvarva and my sister in law Pauline loves her Janome. It is all in what you want the machine to do for you - keep trying! You will find what suits you!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Love the birches. At one time I lived in a townhouse and the bedroom looked out over all these huge old oak trees. Looking through the sheer window curtains to all the branches was magical. I sew wish I had taken a picture it would have made such a wonderful quilt.

Robin said...

Hi there Holly...this is so pretty...can't wait to see after the stitching..yes it's warm here...what is the temperature where you are?